Sunday, March 04, 2007

Littlemores, a barge family.


This is a picture of a renovated barge that was at one time a home and a way of earning a living.
The Littlemores were one of the families that lived and worked on these barges that moved lumber , coal, and every type of raw materials that were needed in manufacture . The story is told of one family in the book "Ramlin Rose" by Sheila Stewart. It is a true story with photos of these hard working families.
The children didn't get to school very often. Only when the barge was loading up and they were close by to a school were the children able to go for a while.
Most of these boats were just left to rot after other ways of transport came to be. Some were rescued and made into luxury holiday craft. There are some of the people in our Littlemore group who lived on this boat shown here. I think Her name is Jenny . Her mother passed away a few years ago.
I notice this has the name Tamworth on it and of course we in Ontario canada have a Tamworth
only five miles away from our house. I notice the name of the barge is Hood and I went to school in Toronto at "D B Hood" .I don't know what D. B. stands for . I will have to look up who Hood was .I do know there was a large battle ship that was sunk named the Hood.
The book I have mentioned is by Oxford paperbacks.
Thats all for to day folks. Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home